Saturday, September 26, 2009

Lost in Guadalajara

Court yard at Villa del Ensueno

We all took a trip to Guadalajara on Wednesday to take a friend to the airport. Guadalajara is about a 3 hour drive North East of Manzanillo, all good freeway toll roads. We decided to stay in Tlaquepaque and do some shopping as always Beverly loves to shop, Jim is the burro. We stay at a Great Bed and Breakfast called Villa del Ensueno it has exquisitely decorated rooms, fountains, gardens and two heated pools. That is where it all begins: We found Omar a cab for the airport and had just check in, I was walking down the court yard ( above) when things got really foggy out side this room, and in an blink of an, shoe lace, eye. I found myself in the middle of the Tlaquepaque plaza. Here there are 900 artisan shops, this community produces the greatest variety of handcrafts in Mexico. The main street AV. Independencia is a wide pedestrian only street has 200 stores restaurants and galleries.

Patio outside room


Art work in Tlaquepaque plaza

A hard days reward after shopping


There they where the dreaded Mariachi, but wait, I am in the the restaurant EL Patio, and the Mariachi's are women. They have a 10 person Mariachi band that plays between 3 and 5 pm each day. The natural colonial ambiance of an old hacienda style gardens make it a place to see and dine. Oh no now what am I going to do??????
Now I am LOST: I walk the streets of Tonala looking for Carlos. In Tonala street market day is Thursday and shopping day for everybody. You can buy everything from food to 5'x5' paintings, loads of hand crafted blown glass, ceramics and wrought iron. As Beverly will say this place is a shopper's dream. Jim and Beverly have a guide to help find me, but I think Raul is just helping them shop. So all day I keep looking and walking, when I find myself back at Ensueno's, I meet this Senorita Margarita, (below) they all have that name, who takes me in so I can wait for Carlos. I look behind the bar and there he is (below) I have been found and happy to get into the truck, even though they pile box's and stuff on top of me I am glad to head back to Manzanillo.

Bar at Villa del Ensueno

No comments:

Post a Comment